- Our Degrees
- Entry Requirements
- Areas of Study
- How to Apply - Undergraduate
- How to Apply - Postgraduate
- Audition Requirements
- Auditions and Submissions - Dates and Costs
- Asia Live Auditions 2015/2016
- Estivo: European Chamber Music Summer School
- Chicago Mid-West Tour 2015 - Participation and Commitment
- Open Day 2015
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Conservatorium Open Academy
Vocal and Opera Studies
The Vocal and Opera Studies Unit reflects the Sydney Conservatorium of Music’s strong commitment to singing, an environment in which our students have excelled (Dame Joan Sutherland is the most famous example). Together with the Opera School of the Sydney Conservatorium, the Vocal and Opera Studies Unit develops skills in a wide range of repertoire and performance types from the recital to the opera stage. Our students come from all states of Australia and overseas, attracted by a teaching staff with wide experience as concert and operatic artists and outstanding pedagogues, all of whom have had distinguished careers. Many of our teachers are still active as performers with repertoire interests ranging from the early Renaissance to contemporary classical music.
Coaching and language instruction from the Sydney Conservatorium of Music’s Piano Accompaniment Unit and language staff complement individual vocal lessons. Along with establishing and refining students’ vocal, musical and artistic skills, the Vocal and Opera Studies Unit develops the personal attributes needed for a career in performance, teaching or other fields. Vocal students at the Sydney Conservatorium have various opportunities for performance in workshops, chamber music concerts and masterclasses. They are encouraged to take part in concerts of major choral works and in the Opera School of the Sydney Conservatorium’s opera productions. Our students have also been successful in many competitions around Australia.
The Sydney Conservatorium Opera School showcases vocal and dramatic talent in regular public opera productions, using the Sydney Conservatorium’s versatile performing spaces. These well-attended productions provide an opportunity for outstanding talent to take its first bow in practical preparation for the opera profession. Working with established and emerging stage directors, conductors, coaches and repetiteurs, students train in aspects of stagecraft, such as characterisation, language and ensemble skills. They also receive the invaluable opportunity to study and perform a role, and the style of the selected operatic repertoire is diverse. Weekly performance workshops, masterclasses and opera performance classes provide additional performance opportunities.
Graduates from the Opera School have been employed as full-time artists by the national company, Opera Australia; in state opera companies; and in young artist programs of opera companies, such as those in Zurich, Cologne, Vienna and Rome.
Please note: Only Classical Voice is available at undergraduate level.
- Diploma of Music – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Bachelor of Music (Music Education) – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Bachelor of Music (Performance) – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Bachelor of Music Studies – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Bachelor of Music Studies / Bachelor of Arts – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Bachelor of Music Studies / Bachelor of Medicine / Bachelor of Surgery – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Graduate Diploma in Music (Opera Performance) – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Master of Music Studies (Opera Performance) – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Doctor of Musical Arts (DMA) – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) – Course Structure | Apply Now
Vocal and Opera Studies Faculty
- Dr Rowena COWLEY - Director of HDR Performance Research; Senior Lecturer in Voice/Pedagogy
- Mr Andrew DALTON
- Associate Professor Michael HALLIWELL - Associate Professor of Vocal and Opera Studies
- Mrs Anke HOEPPNER-RYAN - Casual Lecturer in Vocal Studies
- Mr Stephen MOULD - Lecturer in Conducting and Opera Studies and Chair of Opera Production
- Mr Barry RYAN - Lecturer in Vocal Studies
- Ms Maree RYAN - Senior Lecturer in Voice and Chair of Vocal and Opera Studies Unit
- Mrs Robyn WELLS - Casual Lecturer in Vocal Studies
- Mr Stephen YALOURIS - Casual Lecturer in Vocal Studies
Undergraduate Audition Requirements – Classical Voice only
Postgraduate Audition Requirements – Classical Voice and Opera