- Areas of Study
- How to Apply - Undergraduate
- How to Apply - Postgraduate
- Auditions + Portfolios
- Scholarships and Prizes
- Notable Alumni
- Composing Women
- SCM Visiting Artists and Scholars Program
- Estivo: European Chamber Music Summer School
- Henderson Travellers
- MOOC: Music Education in the 21st Century
Strings Audition Requirements
Technical requirements: demonstrate different bowings in any two octave scale of your choice, one study which demonstrates technical ability.
- Prepared program: a fast and slow movement from a baroque sonata, for example, Corelli, Eccles or Vivaldi; and two short pieces, including one 20th or 21st century work..
- Technical requirements: all major and melodic minor scales (Segovia) with all standard right-hand fingerings (im, ma, ia); and two contrasting studies, for example: Villa Lobos (any); Sor 12, 16 or 20 (Segovia); Dodgson 4 or 10.
- Prepared program: three contrasting pieces, including one 20th century work.
Technical requirements: major and minor keys over four octaves including common chords, dominant sevenths and their inversions performed as: scales (both hands); arpeggios (both hands); extended arpeggios; flat, broken chords (both hands); one study such as ‘Mirage’ – Modern Study of the Harp by Carlos Salzedo (Schirmer 1948), ‘Premiere Etude’ – Exercises et Etudes no.36 by (Ed) La Riviere Alphonse Leduc (or equivalent).
- Prepared program: two solos of contrasting style such as Bach – ‘Bourree’, Corelli – Gigue’, Salzedo – ‘Quietude’, Thomas – ‘A Native’s Farewell’, Ibert – ‘Scherzetto’, Salzedo -‘Gavotte’ from ‘Suite of Eight Dances’, Britten – ‘Interlude’ from ‘A Ceremony of Carols’ or other of an equivalent standard Harp.
VIOLIN, VIOLA, VIOLONCELLO
- Technical requirements: You should prepare scales, arpeggios (including dominant and diminished) and standard double stops (3rds, 6ths, 8ves) for at least one key of your choice from a scales system according to you current level of individual technical proficiency and background; you may be asked to demonstrate different bowings in any three octave scale of your choice; one study
- Violin — Kreutzer, Fiorillo, Rode, Dont Opus 35 or any other study of comparable or higher degree of difficulty
- Viola — as above or a study by Campagnoli
- Violoncello — Piatti, Popper or Grutzmacher.
- Violin and Cello prepared program: two contrasting movements of a Bach solo work; a fast and a slow movement from a concerto in the standard repertoire; and one short 20th or 21st century work (either a piece, or a movement of a sonata).
- Viola prepared program: two contrasting movements of a Bach solo work; a fast and a slow movement from a concerto or sonata in the standard repertoire; and one short 20th or 21st century work (either a piece, or a movement of a sonata).
- Applicants for the Bachelor of Music (Performance) need to prepare all requirements.
Applicants for the Bachelor of Music (Music Education) need to prepare the technical requirements and only two contrasting works/ movements outlined in the prepared program.