- Open Day 2017
- Alumni Profiles
- Areas of Study
- Our Degrees
- Entry Requirements
- How to Apply - Undergraduate
- How to Apply - Postgraduate
- Audition Requirements
- Auditions - Dates and Costs
- Audition Submissions
- National Women Composers' Development Program
- SCM Visiting Artists and Scholars Program
- MOOC: Music Education in the 21st Century
- International Tour Policy
- Estivo: European Chamber Music Summer School
- Conservatorium Open Academy
Creative Music – Study Options
Do you want to focus on developing your composition skills, including notation-based composition, to prepare you for music beyond the concert hall? If you are interested in composing collaboratively with performers, and arranging music for film, television and online, this is the new degree for you. Our composition and music technology staff are some of Australia’s most gifted and widely recognised composers, working across instrumental and vocal to electronic and electroacoustic music.
Our new four-year Bachelor of Music produces broadly educated musicians who can apply their knowledge and skills in various music and arts-related contexts and professions. We also allow you to forge creative interdisciplinary links with other musicians at the Conservatorium, as well as with students and academics throughout the University of Sydney, enabling you to prepare for a variety of new careers.
The core units of study are in music skills, analysis, history and culture, performance and teaching music, and a final year project, but the course is structured to allow you the flexibility to pursue a course of study in a combination of musical and non-musical disciplines. You can choose from a wide range of music electives, or other units of study such as art, history or design from another University of Sydney faculty.
Experience the best of both worlds, with classes at both the Conservatorium and at the University’s Camperdown Campus.
Creative Music Staff
- Dr Damien Ricketson – Senior Lecturer in Composition and Music Technology, Program Leader Bachelor of Music (Composition)