- Open Day 2016
- Alumni Profiles
- Student Profiles
- Areas of Study
- Our Degrees
- Entry Requirements
- How to Apply - Undergraduate
- How to Apply - Postgraduate
- Audition Requirements
- Audition and Submissions - Dates and Costs
- Asia Live Auditions 2015/2016
- National Women Composers' Development Program
- Masterclass Program
- MOOC: Music Education in the 21st Century
- International Tour Policy
- Estivo: European Chamber Music Summer School
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Conservatorium Open Academy
Discover your sound – Have you always wanted to be a professional guitarist or bass player? Were you destined to storm the stage as a vocalist, electronic music producer or DJ?
Whether you want to be front and centre as a drummer or keyboardist, or behind the scenes producing and writing songs, the Bachelor of Music Studies (Contemporary Music) is designed for students interested in a career within the music industry.
About the course
This course gives you access to a diverse range of music industry practitioners who will help you expand and grow your talent to its full potential. Our teachers will guide you as you produce your own exciting and original music.
You will experience contemporary music production, work with industry professionals, learn from music historians, and rub shoulders with some of the country’s best student musicians. This course also gives you the opportunity to discover inventive approaches to writing and performing music, all while learning to study, interpret, and perform the music of others in innovative and new ways.
Where are the classes taught?
Because we want you to experience the best of both worlds, classes for the Bachelor of Music Studies take place at both the Sydney Conservatorium of Music and the main campus of the University of Sydney. Here you will mix with a wide range of musicians, composers, performers, musicologists and other industry specialists, while being given the chance to collaborate with students across a wide range of musical genres.
We support your classes with the best facilities available, including sound technologies, professional recording studios and breathtaking concert halls.
The Bachelor of Music Studies is your first step to becoming a national and international music pioneer.
Applicants must submit a portfolio with 8-10 minutes maximum of original work; song(s) or composition(s) in any genre that demonstrates a high level of creative potential and technical ability that shows an understanding of your chosen style(s).
Format: all audio/video material must be submitted in digital format in mp4 video or mp3 audio. Optional materials may include audio CDs, websites, beat/loops samples, and DJ mixes.
Only applicants who have been assessed favourably at the pre-screening stage will be invited for an interview.
Pre-sceening round materials are due by 16 October with final round interview notification by 2 November.
- Bachelor of Music Studies – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Bachelor of Music Studies / Bachelor of Arts – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Bachelor of Music Studies / Doctor of Medicine – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours / Bachelor of Music Studies – Course Structure (Available from late October) | Apply Now
Where can I get more information?
For more information about the Bachelor of Music Studies (Contemporary Music) course please contact Arts Music Student Administration:
T +61 2 9351 2923