The Sydney Conservatorium of Music Conducting Unit offers a program of conductor training leading to a Master of Music or PhD in conducting performance. The Music Conducting Unit offers training to carefully selected students who receive many opportunities to learn and practise their craft, such as conducting the Sydney Conservatorium orchestras, opera productions, two choirs, modern music ensemble, and early music ensembles.
Conductor training at the Conservatorium continues a great tradition; the teaching staff has included conductors Henri Verbrugghen, Sir Eugene Goossens, Sir Bernard Heinze and Joseph Post. Conductors Sir Charles Mackerras, Richard Bonynge, Simone Young, Antony Walker, Henryk Pisarek and Paul Dyer are among our distinguished alumni.
- Master of Music Studies (Conducting) – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Dr Anthony CLARKE - Lecturer in Conducting
- Maestro Eduardo DIAZMUñOZ - Professor of Conducting
- Dr Neil MCEWAN - Senior Lecturer of Conducting, Music Education and Choirs, and Acting Chair of Conducting Unit
- Mr Stephen MOULD - Lecturer in Conducting and Opera Studies and Chair of Opera Production
- Mr Stephen WILLIAMS - Casual Lecturer in Conducting (Wind Symphony)
The instrumental conducting audition and interview will be informed of a date in writing.
Applicants must submit a video recording of a performance or rehearsal that displays their conducting proficiency. A limited number of people will then be invited to a personal audition with the SCM Conductors’ orchestra. Recordings must be submitted by 1 May for admission for second semester or 1 October for admission in first semester.
Invited applicants should prepare the following pieces for the personal conducting audition: Beethoven, Symphony No. 4.
In addition, all applicants should prepare a piece from the standard repertoire of their instrument to perform for the conducting faculty.
Please contact the Student Administration for information regarding audition repertoire and available audition dates by calling:
T: + 61 2 9351 1216