- Open Day 2016
- Alumni Profiles
- Student Profiles
- Areas of Study
- Our Degrees
- Entry Requirements
- How to Apply - Undergraduate
- How to Apply - Postgraduate
- Audition Requirements
- Auditions - Dates and Costs
- Audition Submissions
- Asia Live Auditions 2015/2016
- National Women Composers' Development Program
- Masterclass Program
- MOOC: Music Education in the 21st Century
- International Tour Policy
- Estivo: European Chamber Music Summer School
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Conservatorium Open Academy
The Arts Music Unit at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music provides study opportunities in music as part of an arts degree or a combined degree (such as arts/commerce, arts/law and arts/science). Courses are designed both for students who intend to make music their profession and for those who will pursue other careers. Available to students from all faculties, the courses cover a broad range of studies of music – in society, in culture and in performance. We welcome students from all musical backgrounds, including those with no prior musical experience.
Based at the University of Sydney’s Camperdown Campus in the Seymour Centre and the Old Darlington School, the Arts Music Unit offers courses and subjects ranging from general studies of the language of music to performance, composition and musicology. Students can major in music (at pass or honours level) as part of a Bachelor of Arts degree or any combined arts degree.
- Bachelor of Arts – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Bachelor of Music Studies / Bachelor of Arts – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Bachelor of Music Studies / Doctor of Medicine – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours / Bachelor of Music Studies – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) – Course Structure | Apply Now
Arts Music Units of Study
For detailed information about Units of Study please check the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Handbook (search for ‘Music’).
Arts Music Pathways and Options
Read more about the many pathways for our arts music students. Arts Music Pathways and Options.
Sydney Conservatorium of Music Units of Study
Choose from a number of units of study offered at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music to enhance your degree to suit your creative interests. You don’t have to be enrolled in a Bachelor of Music to study music – our units of study are available to students in all degrees at the University of Sydney. Some units require prerequisites and/or audition.
For detailed information about further elective Units of Study, please check the Sydney Conservatorium of Music Handbook.
Arts Music Faculty
- Professor Anne Boyd – Professor of Arts Music and Composition and Music Technology
- Dr Daniel Rojas – Chair of Arts Music Unit (Acting) and Lecturer in Music Teaching and Research
- Professor Matthew Hindson – Professor and Chair of Composition and Music Technology Unit
- Dr Charles Fairchild – Associate Professor of Popular Music
- Dr James Wierzbicki – Senior Lecturer in Musicology, Honours Coordinator of Arts Music Unit
- Dr Clint Bracknell – Senior Lecturer in Ethnomusicology, Coordinator of the Bachelor of Music Studies (Contemporary Music Practice) and Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Curriculum
- Dr Damian Barbeler – Part-time Lecturer in Digital Music
- Mr Jeremy Rose – Part-time Lecturer in Composition and Music Skills
Arts Music Student Administration
T +61 2 9351 2923