- Areas of Study
- How to Apply - Undergraduate
- How to Apply - Postgraduate
- Auditions + Portfolios
- Scholarships and Prizes
- Notable Alumni
- Composing Women
- SCM Visiting Artists and Scholars Program
- Estivo: European Chamber Music Summer School
- Henderson Travellers
- MOOC: Music Education in the 21st Century
- OLE: Digital Communication: Sound
Study music in your arts degree
- Bachelor of Arts (Music Major) – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) – Course Structure | Apply Now
Studying a Bachelor of Arts (Music Major) at the University of Sydney provides an opportunity for students from the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences to study in music on our Camperdown Campus and at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music in the city. Courses are designed both for students who intend to make music their profession and for those who will pursue other careers. Our music units of study are also available to students from all faculties, covering a broad range of topics in society, in culture and in performance. We welcome students from all musical backgrounds, including those with no prior musical experience.
Based at the University of Sydney’s Camperdown Campus in the Seymour Centre and the Old Darlington School, our Arts Music courses and subjects range from general studies of the language of music to performance, composition and musicology. Students can major in music (at pass or honours level) as part of a Bachelor of Arts degree or any combined arts degree.
For detailed information about Units of Study please check the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Handbook
We offer a number of elective units of study to enhance your degree. You don’t have to be enrolled in a music degree to study music – our units of study are available to students in all degrees at the University of Sydney. Some units require prerequisites and/or audition.
For detailed information about further elective Units of Study, please check the Sydney Conservatorium of Music Handbook.
Arts Music Staff
- Associate Professor Charles Fairchild – Popular Music; Program Leader of Bachelor of Arts (Music Major)
- Professor Anne Boyd – Composition
- Professor Matthew Hindson – Composition, Deputy Head of School, Deputy Dean, Associate Dean (Education)
- Dr Clint Bracknell – Senior Lecturer in Ethnomusicology and Contemporary Music, Coordinator of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Curriculum
- Dr James Wierzbicki – Senior Lecturer in Musicology, Honours Coordinator
- Dr Daniel Rojas – Lecturer in Music Teaching and Research
- Dr Jade O’Regan – Scholarly Teaching Fellow in Contemporary Music
- Dr Damian Barbeler – Casual Lecturer in Digital Music
- Dr Jonathan Byrnes – Casual Lecturer in Music Skills
- Mr Samuel Cottell – Casual Lecturer in Contemporary Music and Music Skills