- Open Day 2017
- Alumni Profiles
- Student Profiles
- Areas of Study
- Our Degrees
- Entry Requirements
- How to Apply - Undergraduate
- How to Apply - Postgraduate
- Audition Requirements
- Auditions - Dates and Costs
- Audition Submissions
- National Women Composers' Development Program
- SCM Visiting Artists and Scholars Program
- MOOC: Music Education in the 21st Century
- International Tour Policy
- Estivo: European Chamber Music Summer School
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Conservatorium Open Academy
Bachelor of Arts (Music Major)
Studying a Bachelor of Arts (Music Major) at the University of Sydney provides an opportunity for students from the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences to study in music on our Camperdown Campus and at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music in the city. Courses are designed both for students who intend to make music their profession and for those who will pursue other careers. Available to students from all faculties, the courses cover a broad range of studies of music – in society, in culture and in performance. We welcome students from all musical backgrounds, including those with no prior musical experience.
Based at the University of Sydney’s Camperdown Campus in the Seymour Centre and the Old Darlington School, our Arts Music courses and subjects range from general studies of the language of music to performance, composition and musicology. Students can major in music (at pass or honours level) as part of a Bachelor of Arts degree or any combined arts degree.
- Bachelor of Arts – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) – Course Structure | Apply Now
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) – Course Structure | Apply Now
Study Music in your Arts degree
For detailed information about Units of Study please check the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Handbook (search for ‘Music’).
Arts Music Pathways and Options
Read more about the many pathways for our arts music students. Arts Music Pathways and Options.
Sydney Conservatorium of Music Units of Study
Choose from a number of units of study offered at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music to enhance your degree to suit your creative interests. You don’t have to be enrolled in a Bachelor of Music to study music – our units of study are available to students in all degrees at the University of Sydney. Some units require prerequisites and/or audition.
For detailed information about further elective Units of Study, please check the Sydney Conservatorium of Music Handbook.
Bachelor of Arts (Music Major) Staff
- Associate Professor Charles Fairchild – Popular Music; Program Leader of Bachelor of Arts (Music Major)
- Professor Anne Boyd – Composition
- Professor Matthew Hindson – Composition, Deputy Head of School, Deputy Dean, Associate Dean (Education)
- Dr Clint Bracknell – Senior Lecturer in Ethnomusicology and Contemporary Music, Coordinator of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Curriculum
- Dr James Wierzbicki – Senior Lecturer in Musicology, Honours Coordinator
- Dr Daniel Rojas – Lecturer in Music Teaching and Research
- Dr Jade O’Regan – Scholarly Teaching Fellow in Contemporary Music
- Dr Damian Barbeler – Casual Lecturer in Digital Music
- Dr Jonathan Byrnes – Casual Lecturer in Music Skills
- Mr Samuel Cottell – Casual Lecturer in Contemporary Music and Music Skills