Hire SCM Musicians
As the University Term will end shortly the Conservatorium Musicians Referral Service will be closed from Wednesday November 27. Regrettably we will not be able to take any new applications after this time.
The service will re-open in March 2014.
The Sydney Conservatorium of Music produces Australia’s most outstanding young musicians and ensembles specializing in classical, early music and jazz performance. Many of these young musicians are already performing professionally and are very experienced with gigs for corporate events, weddings, etc.
The Open Academy manages a register of the Sydney Conservatorium’s most outstanding musicians ready to perform at events. The Musicians Referral Service is maintained for the benefit of those students and to direct paid performance opportunities to them. All musicians on the register have endorsements from their instrumental or vocal teachers.
All you need to do is complete the request form and the Conservatorium Open Academy will then find the most suitable musicians from our register. Once the musicians confirm availability for your event, the Open Academy will facilitate contact between you, the hirer, and the musicians. At that point, the role of the Open Academy’s Musicians Referral Service is complete and the Open Academy takes no responsibility beyond the referral. Any necessary arrangements for the event (such as negotiations for the performance fee and payment and relevant insurances, etc) are undertaken by you and the musicians.
- Please allow at least seven working days between application and event.
- Read through the Musicians Referral Service Guidelines and information below.
- Complete Steps 1-5 of the Request Form with all the details of your proposed event.
- Submit the request form, along with payment of the non-refundable administration fee of $75 to the Open Academy.
- Within five working days of receiving your application, the Open Academy will contact you with details as per your request. Once musicians have been put in touch with you, we will process the $75 payment. If no musicians are available, we will not process the payment.
Musicians Referral Service Guidelines
A non-refundable Musicians Referral Service administration fee of $75.00 (including GST) is payable to the Conservatorium Open Academy at the time of submitting your request. This payment may be made by credit card (Visa or MasterCard only), cheque or money order.
Requests are processed in order of receipt. There may be a rare occasion during the year when musicians are unavailable due to exams, recitals, concerts or semester breaks. The fee will be repaid to you in the event that no musicians are available to play for you.
Once a musician has been referred to you, it is your responsibility to undertake all hiring requirements, such as the negotiation and payment of the performance fee, with the musicians.
Selecting Your Musicians
To assist you in your application for a musician or ensemble, the following ensembles or soloists are the most popular; however, other combinations are possible so please ask.
- Solos: violin; cello; guitar; piano; harp
- Duos: two guitars; violin and cello
- Trios: string trio (violin, viola and cello); flute, clarinet and bassoon, Baroque instruments
- Quartets: string quartet (2 violins, viola and cello); brass quartet (2 trumpets, horn, trombone)
- Solos: jazz guitar or piano/keyboard; vocalist with piano; saxophone
- Duos: guitar and bass; bass and piano/keyboard
- Trios: sax/guitar or piano/keyboard with bass and drums
- Quartets: various combinations of the above
Before completing the request form, please consider the following issues when you are planning your event:
- Performers on the Musicians Referral Service register will expect payment, and this should include consideration of rehearsal and travel time for all members of an ensemble or the accompanist, if required, for a solo performer.
- The type and size of the venue and the number of guests should be considered to determine suitability and audibility of a solo musician or ensemble in the event space.
- Is a power outlet for sound equipment available for performers if required?
- Is a running sheet or program required for the musicians?
- Will musical interludes be required during a ceremony?
- Musicians will need chairs without arms if they need to sit to perform.
- Is there adequate lighting for the musicians and a covering in case of rain?
- Are the musicians covered for suitable public liability and workers compensation insurance in accordance with current legislation?
- If your event is cancelled on short notice, the performer(s) may expect a cancellation fee.
Performance Fee and Payment
Negotiations for the performance fee and payment are the sole responsibility of the hirer and the musicians.
If you’d like to find out more, contact the Conservatorium Open Academy:
T +61 2 9351 1207